Maria Sharapova fizzling an Australian Open doping test for a substance banned just weeks before was "rash past portrayal", said previous World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) president Dick Pound.
The 28-year-old Russian, a five-time Grand Slam singles champion, uncovered Monday she tried positive for the banned substance meldonium in January and a few patrons have effectively cut ties with her.
"Maintaining a $30 million business relies on upon you staying qualified to play tennis," said Pound, the WADA supervisor from 1999 through 2007.
"You are taking something on a rundown. I am sad. That is a major slip-up. Obviously she ought to have known."
Sharapova said she got an email with a connection to the changed rundown of banned substances yet never tapped on it to take in the medication she had taken following 2006 had been put on the banned rundown, WADA having seen it utilized as an inappropriate vitality and stamina partner.
"She is taking something that is not for the most part allowed in her nation of living arrangement for restorative purposes, so she says, so there must be a specialist taking after this," Pound said.
"Whenever there is a change to the rundown, notification is given on 30 September preceding the change. You have October, November, December to get off what you are doing.
"Every one of the tennis players were given notice of it and she has a therapeutic group some place. That is foolhardy past portrayal."
The International Tennis Federation has said Sharapova will be temporarily banned from March 12.
She confronts a four-year boycott for the infringement however would like to have it diminished. In any case, Pound noted WADA could push for a higher discipline.
No comments:
Post a Comment